Wednesday 18 December 2013

The Power of Words

Extreme anxiety a few weeks ago made me seek out some counselling.  I had picked up a leaflet about counselling, at the Christie Oldham on one of my radiotherapy visits.  I rung the number but it was engaged.  After I had repeated this several times over a few days and it was still engaged I decided that there was something wrong.  Support organisations of one kind or another sometimes don't survive because of they way they are funded.  People involved are continually looking for pots of money that they can tap into.  It's a time consuming business and needs a lot of staying power.  So it was with low expectations that I went to the website of Oldham Cancer Support.  I was glad to find that they are still operating, it was just that they had changed their phone number.
I had my first session last week and one today.  Very difficult to reflect on this as the last eight months and everything that has been involved in 'having cancer' still have a quality of having happened to someone else in a parallel universe.  I also think I got away with it (the cancer) quite lightly.  So I've nowt to complain about, have I?  I'll just have to see how it goes.
I was chuffed to see two good friends when I had my dental appointment at the Royal Oldham yesterday and today I spent sometime with a super woman who I am blessed to have as a friend as her wise words always help me to see a bit clearer.
Never underestimate the power of what you say to someone, words are a powerful tool for both good and bad.
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment